Recently I heard of a young teenager who was prescribed medication for depression. The reason was.. her self image ... "I think I am ugly, whenever I look in the mirror I think I am so ugly."
Your self image, is it your friend or your enemy?
Q. Mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all.
A. All those on social media, all those on the glossy magazines, all those movie stars and models....in fact all others are fairer, oh yes much fairer than you!
Q. Oh but mirror mirror why do you consider them more fair than I?
A. Because they have been photoshopped and air brushed to a perfection that does not exist and you have an image on the inside that responds to photoshop and the airbrush, and collectively you stand with so many others who believe the same.
Q. Oh but mirror mirror, am I doomed....How can this be changed?
A. So glad you asked...Here is my list of 7 pointers on self image.
1. You are made in the image of God, not the image of an airbrushed actress or model. Take some time off social media and draw a picture, write a poem, create some music, read a book, paint, photograph, swim, run, surf, Get in touch with your body and your mind. Remind yourself that you are incredibly beautiful, "He makes everything beautiful in his time." Beauty is not an airbrushed model, that is a lie, a trick that humans have created to get you to use their product. The pictures you gaze at do not exist. Fake, false, untrue, robotic, plastic, lies, unrealistic!
2. Godliness with contentment is great gain...the sooner you accept what you look like the sooner you will realise that you are different, unique, uncommon, rare, dissimilar, and this is what makes you you, then the sooner you will be on your way to peace.
3. Love yourself exactly as you look warts, spots imperfections and all. You are ok, you are authentic, you are pretty cool!
Fonzy from the old time TV show, "Happy Days".... Take your comb out, and then put it away because their is nothing to change about yourself!
I like what I see, I like how I feel, I like what I do, sure I make mistakes, but no pressure just move on and accept mistakes as part of learning about myself.
4. See yourself through Gods eyes. What do you really think God thinks about you. Write it down. PSALM 139.16
5. Do not listen to any words that tell you you are ugly, weird, hopeless, dumb, etc. Words will destroy you...IF YOU LET THEM.
6. Do the best with what you have. Don't accept what you look like and then neglect yourself. Get those braces, get that haircut, buy that new gown..... Change what you are humanly able, and what you genuinely want to change and leave the rest..... but keep "the rest"...healthy and fit.
7. Work on those thoughts everyday. Day after day after day after day, remind yourself you are beautiful.
Brighter than you thought.
I like myself, I am happy with me.
There is a light on the inside of you that needs to come out and shine.
I see before my eyes the changing of the ocean waves
Where there was once dry land, I see rivers of living water.
Here is my story..
Long, long ago when I was a high school student I had a friend....she was skinny, had a pale face, thick horn rimmed glasses, and black lank hair... what the world would call unattractive. Each morning on the way to school in the school bus she would keep us entertained with her comical approach to life and her caring attitude towards others. She soon became the most beautiful person I have ever seen and I sought her out often over my school life. Her confidence came from her heart and radiated up onto her face.
I will never forget her. That is true and genuine beauty.
Statistics show that 1 in every 3 teenagers considers their self image the most important factor in their lives! How could this be? How has humanity become so concerned with what they look like that the doctor can prescribed drugs for them.
Is your self image your friend or your enemy?
MAKE IT YOUR VERY BEST FRIEND!
See you next time, Wendy.
If you would like to stay in touch, please subscribe by clicking on the small envelope icon in the top right hand corner of my blog page, and you will be notified when a new blog is posted.